Monday, October 7, 2013

What are you doing to create Change?

I opened my eyes, looked around the room, sat quietly and listened to the fan blowing in the room.  I looked up at the ceiling and studied the room for a moment.  I got up, wandered into the bathroom to get ready for the day.  It was dark still, and I had woken up early with the intent of getting my breakfast ready before I left for the "office' at one of the businesses I am a part of.  

I walked out into the house, and just stopped for a moment as I listened to the silence that surrounded me.  It was calming, and gave me a chance to think about what the day would turn out to be.  I had to re-direct my thinking because I had visualized some challenges that i knew would be tough to deal with that day.  So I created a new line of thinking, changing the entire outcome of what I wanted for the day.  I focussed on the results of the day and what I wanted ti to be.  I focussed on the faces of the people I could hope to inspire.

I had to stop and think to myself for a moment.  What if every person were to do that in the morning.  What if each of us were to stop for 2 minutes before heading out the door and just visualized what we wanted to do that day, what we wanted to accomplish and how we wanted to make the world a better place.  Would it make a difference? 

The answer is a resounding yes! Think for a moment in your life, at moments that were not going your direction.  What did it take to turn that situation around?  It took creating change.  

You see, in our lives, we are not reactors, but rather we are creators of change. Most of us become reactors to change rather than realizing the power we have.   We have the ability to create change in every arena of our life.  

Wait, you just said we don't have to react to change, but rather we can create it?   ABSOLUTELY YES!!! 

YOU are in control of ONE person in this world... YOU.  When you realize that YOU have a sphere of influence, and that sphere of influence can help you to create the change you want to see in the world, then you will become ultimately powerful in life.  This is not by any means, a way to get people to do what you want them to do, but rather it is a way to realize we can instigate change through helping others understand we ARE the change that needs to occur.  

More often than not things remain the same because people react to the change they are faced with.  They get angry, upset, sad or blame someone else for the situations in their life. They become victims, or persecutors, or enablers.  They begin to live in the drama triangle.  They begin to cycle through and react to each situation they are presented with in one of those roles rather than accepting that THEY are in control of their reactions, their responses and their ACTIONS, 

When we realize that we control our own thoughts, reactions and actions, then we become ultimately powerful in helping to create the change we want to see. 

Let me give you an example.  In one of my businesses, I saw a huge challenge with how the community was being put together, in how certain groups were being perceived by those outside the group. Rather than react through rolling my eyes every day(which probably happened more than I wanted it to)  I sat down with some of the people in the group and explained my side as an owner of the business and how it could affect them both positively and negatively.  I also made some recommendations as an owner to keep me happy so I wasn't on their back all the time.  This alleviated a LOT of stress for them and made it easier to work with me. 

Now, in a grander scale, the impact you want to make on the world has to be your personal legacy and mark.  Each one of us has a powerful message inside of us to deliver, whether to the world, our kids, our significant others.  There is a message of change in you to be heard.  The challenge with that is that you are limited by what you believe your impact can be. 

We are going to pick up part 2 on wednesday or Thursday....  until then, keep thinking about the changes you want in your life and what you want to create in those around you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment